LLMD is an acronym that stands for “Lyme Literate Medical Doctor.” An LLMD is a doctor that is experienced and educated in the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme Disease and tick-borne co-infections. Most of these doctors use a combination of antibiotics, natural/herbal therapies and dietary restrictions to help people suffering from Lyme Disease.
When searching for a LLMD, it is important to ask several questions that are relevant to Lyme Disease:
- What labs do you use to test for Lyme Disease?
- Do you test for co-infections?
- How long have you been treating patients with Lyme Disease and tick-born co-infections?
- Have you had training in the treatment of Lyme Disease?
- Are you a member of the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS)?
- How many patients with Lyme Disease do you see a week?
- What types of treatments and/or treatment combinations do you use (antibiotics, natural/herbal therapies, supplements, Cowden Protocol, dietary restrictions, etc.)
- What are your office visit rates?
- Do you accept insurance?
- How frequently do you schedule appointments with Lyme Disease patients?
The following reputable websites will help you search for an LLMD:
- International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS)
- Lyme Disease Association
- Lyme Disease Association of Southern PA: email@example.com OR 610-388-7333
- Tick-Borne Disease Alliance